Having a fresh farm stand tomato is simply heaven. I am just so thrilled there is still more time in the season to enjoy them. It is hard to avoid them as they seem to be everywhere even in the New York Times â€œSo Many tomatoes to Stuff in a Weekâ€ by, Mellissa Clark. As a child I did not fancy tomatoes, I know, crazy. How much I missed out on. One of the simplest ways to prepare tomatoes is roasting them. This is perfect because it can be added to all kinds of dishes: Salads, Pastas, and Sandwiches. Past recipes to check out too is Gazpacho , Bruschetta and Peeling Tomatoes.
4 Pounds of Beefsteak Tomatoes (cut in half)
1 Cup of Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon of Sugar
1 Tablespoon of Salt
11/2 Tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar
5 Cloves of Garlic (Minced)
2 Tablespoons of Thyme
Preheat Oven 350
Arrange the tomatoes cut side up on a baking sheet that has been lined with tin foil. Coat the sheet with Olive Oil about 2-3 Tablespoons. Sprinkle Sugar and Salt evenly over the tomatoes and let stand for about 5- minutes. The sprinkle Garlic and Thyme over the Tomatoes and finish by drizzling the Balsamic Vinegar and rest of the Olive Oil over the Tomatoes. Bake for 3 hours if they start to brown to quickly reduced the heat.
1. The tomato is the worldâ€™s most popular fruit
2. Tomatoes are rich in vitamins A and C
3. What makes the tomato red- Lycopene research thinks it might prevent cancer
4. There are more than 10,000 varieties of tomatoes
5. Donâ€™t store ripe tomatoes in the fridge, lessens the flavor. Instead store tem in a cool, dark place, stem-side down.
6. If you must refrigerate take is out an hour before and let return to room temperature.
7. A good serrated knife is far better than a flat-edged knife when slicing tomatoes
8. Cherry Tomatoes- scooped out make a great edible cup
9. Plum Tomatoes are best used for sauces
10. Herbs that goes well with Tomatoes- Basil, Oregano, Garlic, Thyme. Pepper, Chives, Tarragon, Bay Leaf, and Celery Seed. Basically EVERYTHING!
ummm, did you really write “fancy”? hahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!