It is getting colder which mean soup season is back again. Here are a few reminders next time you have a bowl of soup in front of you.
- Do not blow on the soup
- Do not put the entire spoon in your mouth, slip it from the side
- The spoon is filled by moving the spoon away, but in eastern culturesit is the opposite with the spoon being filled with a movement towards you.
- Bring the spoon up to your mouth, don’t have your head over the bowl.
- Tip the bowl away from you when trying to get the last couple of spoonfuls
- If it is a two handled soup bowl it is okay to pick it up and sip from the bowl or use a spoon.
- Leave the soup spoon on the soup plate when done not in the bowl.
Sooo refreshing to read about
the way soup should be eaten! You are doing us a great service- I think most people donâ€™t know the rules, or have forgotten them . . . in this fast paced society where everything must be done quickly!!
I am completely against people KNOWING any so-called â€œrulesâ€ of soup eating because then they will feel entitled to correct me.
George Washington didnâ€™t throw the Redcoats into the teaparty so that Americans could be told how they can and cannot eat their soup.
Wow, this is obnoxious. If youâ€™re so offended, then maybe you shouldnâ€™t be reading a section entitled â€œEtiquette.â€ Your Revolutionary War reference, though creative, falls very short of inspiring.
Are etiquitte and a sense of humor really so incompatable? I certainly hope notâ€¦
I often see people do some â€œoddâ€ things with their soup, especially when they are dying to get that last little bit. The tips you have provided on how to enjoy your soup in a proper way are very useful and I hope many people put them to good use!