I feel from many conversations with brides & bridesmaids, there can be a lot of misconceptions of the roles and expectations of the bridesmaid from both sides. I have seen friendships damaged from an experience that is suppose to be joyous. As for the men reading this who think this might not apply to you – I am sure you have a friend, girlfriend, sister, wife, or fiance who is either a bride or bridesmaid. This, in fact, could be helpful information to have. Here are just a few points on the role of a Bridesmaid.
PLEASE let me know about some of your experiences (I am sure there are many) and of points that should be added so we all can learn!!! THANK YOU…
- Best to always accept the invitation of being a bridesmaid
- If you cannot afford the responsibility bring it up at a later date, not when you are asked.
- Be on time
- The maid of honor is there to share with the bride all the excitement that goes along with all parts of the wedding plans.
- Make sure to pick up your bridesmaid dress in a reasonable amount of time in case of additional fittings
- Be a good communicator with information- don’t count on information reached everyone
- Organize Bachelorette party
- Help out where you can with ideas, driving around scouting out locations etc.
- Help out at rehearsal dinner- Bride and Groom’s family might be a little pre-occupied and forget about things that could be rather important.
- Help the bride getting into her dress- and know how to bustle!